The property to the northwest of the Obadiah Newkirk property (and presumably to the west of the Campbell Farm) is labeled as 99 acres belonging to E.B. Littell. Also bordering on the north at the eastern edge is the James Beattie property (Campbell Farm?). These two properties are mentioned in the 1843 deed to Newkirk as the "John Arthur and James Beattie" lands.
|1862 Farm Map of SE Wileman and NE Brashier patents in Town of Montgomery, Orange County, NY. The line above Francis Littell, Hammer, and Newkirk farms is the dividing line between the Wileman and Brashier patents.|
A description of the James Beattie lands is given in a 1815 deed from Robert Beattie to James. ["New York, Land Records, 1630-1975," images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1971-32870-4108-66?cc=2078654&wc=M7HY-MW5:358136701,358689801 : accessed 28 May 2015), Orange > Deeds 1827-1828 vol GG-HH > image 135 of 545; county courthouses, New York. 1815 NOV 20 Robert Beattie to James Beattie Deed, Liber GG, p.210 )
Bob Goodwin wrote "How this land came into the possession of Robert Beatty is long and complicated and will have to be the subject of another post." We look forward to that.
The Littell lands were received by deed in 1850 from John Arthur. [1850 Elias B. Littell from John Arthur, Liber 105, p. 65, Image 316
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-32877-15705-45?cc=2078654&wc=M7C7-QWG:358136701,359419301] The deed further states that these lands "were lately owned and occupied by Doctor Henry W. Hornbeck deceased."
The Hornbecks appear to be living on this land at least since 1820 when they appear in the Montgomery federal census. However, this land is deeded to them in 1808 by Matthew McCollam. ["New York, Land Records, 1630-1975," images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-32871-633-97?cc=2078654&wc=M7HT-ZMS:358136701,358577401 : accessed 28 May 2015), Orange > Deeds 1807-1809 vol K-L > image 153 of 485; county courthouses, New York. 1808 deed from Matthew and Elizabeth McCollam to Henry Hornbeck, Liber K, p. 297]
I believe the census takers had problems with the McCollam name. In the 1790 census the name appeared as "John McClannen" (could he be the son of Samuel McCollam who witnessed Samuel Campbell's will in 1773?). In the 1800 census the widow McCollam was known as "Elizabeth Montfort" (this is confirmed in the deed).
The property is described as:
" ... known and distinguished in the map or plan of Wilemanton by the name of Lot number thirty and is bounded as follows that is to say,
Beginning at a small black oak sapling marked with two notches and a blaze on four sides being the southwesterly corner of lot number twenty and runs from thence
South twenty degrees West, thirty six Chains
to a stake and heap of stones on the easterly side of a hill in the line of the tract thence
South seventy degrees East, along said line twenty seven Chains and fifty links thence
North twenty degrees East, thirty six Chains and thence
North seventy degrees West, twenty seven Chains and fifty links (as the needle pointed in the year 1794) to the place of Beginning containing ninety nine acres of Land... "
This shape, size, and location match the Littell plot shown in the 1862 farm map.
It is likely the McCollams and the Campbells were neighbors for many years and maybe knew each other prior to the move from NJ to NY. As mentioned, Samuel McCollam was a witness to the will of Samuel Campbell. Perhaps there was even some intermarrying.
Another piece of the puzzle falls into place.